Psoriasis is a non-contagious but serious and common skin condition that affects millions of people who keep looking for the right psoriasis treatment. Its symptoms include ugly skin patches, discomfort and even pain which is triggered when the body’s immune system sends incorrect signals to trigger the growth of skin cells.
Psoriasis can occur on any part of the body and exists as five types; plaque, pustular, guttate, inverse and erythrodermic. Of the lot, plaque is the most common and people who suffer from psoriasis usually have other health conditions like heart disease, diabetes and depression.
[note]While the exact cause for the skin condition is unknown, genetics and the immune system have a part to play in its development. [/note]There are so many treatment options for psoriasis; there is no best treatment for psoriasis. So read on to learn how to cure psoriasis.
- Salicylic acid is an FDA approved over-the-counter medication used for treating mild cases of psoriasis. It is a keratolytic substance that peels away the outer skin layer and causes scales to soften to easily fall away. However do not overdo this as strong salicylic acid can lead to skin irritation and hair loss if applied too frequently.
- Coal tar is made from coal and wood like juniper and pine and treats psoriasis by slowing the growth of skin cells, eliminating inflammation and reducing scaling. The best psoriasis treatment is one with the higher coal tar concentration.
However before using coal tar, apply it on a small patch of skin as if the skin turns red, you have to first moisturize the area before applying the coal tar. As coal tar can make your skin more sensitive to the sun, use sunscreen and limit sun exposure while using coal tar.
- Women of childbearing age who want to know how to get rid of psoriasis should use moisturizers as they are a safe treatment option. Just applying moisturizer to the skin helps prevent and treat a possible psoriasis outbreak as it prevents skin form drying out, reddening, itching or getting damaged. It also heals quickly.
Of course, it’s better to consult your doctor to find out the most effective skin ointment or cream to use for moisturizing skin as cooking oils and shortening are cheaper and effective psoriasis treatment options.
- A cheap psoriasis treatment option is exposure to sunlight. Just spend ten minutes in the sun and work up to 30 minutes of exposure to treat psoriasis. However if you do this, make sure you apply sunscreen on the parts of your body not affected by psoriasis.
[note]Don’t overdo this as sunburn can lead to skin damage. Moreover, stop using topical treatments that may increase your sun sensitivity levels. [/note]
- Your bathroom cabinet may help you learn how to cure psoriasis as bath treatments help provide relief from soreness, scaling, itchiness and redness in some psoriasis sufferers. Just add some oatmeal, Epsom or Dead Sea salts and oil to your bath as they help your skin shed scales and eases itchiness.
Soak in the bath treatment for about 15 minutes and after this, apply a moisturizer or oil to the skin to seal in the water and prevent the skin from drying out. There are also FDA approved anti-itch ingredients like calamine, camphor and menthol you can use to soothe itchiness associated with psoriasis.
- Occlusion is one of the best treatment for psoriasis as increases the effectiveness of topical ointments by covering them up. This way the skin is more likely to absorb medication or moisture and thus provide relief for psoriasis.
During occlusion psoriasis treatment, you just have to apply the topical medication or moisturizer to the affected skin region and cover it with plastic wrap, nylon, cotton or waterproof dressing.
[note]However do consult your physician before using occlusion to treat psoriasis as there are some associated risks. [/note]
- Laser treatments like excimer and pulsed dye laser therapy are useful at treating moderate to severe psoriasis. FDA approved excimer lasers emit ultraviolet light B(UVB) helps eliminate plaque psoriasis sites within 4 – 10 sessions of exposure. Generally psoriasis patients are given two treatments per week with a gap of two days in between treatments.
In case of pulsed dye laser, a dye and a different wavelength is used to break down the small blood vessels that lead to psoriasis lesions. Patients here have to undergo 15 to 30 minute treatments every three weeks and if the treatment works, lesions start disappearing within 4-6 weeks of the treatment.
- In case none of the OTC topical treatments work at treating psoriasis, and you still need to know how to get rid of psoriasis, your doctor will next prescribe a topical anti-inflammatory corticosteroid drug as your psoriasis treatment.
These drugs, when directly applied to the skin suppress the immune system and reduce the production of skin cells, reduce inflammation and also soothe the pain and itching. These prescription ointments come in various strengths where the lower concentrations are used for sensitive skin locations like the face or skin folds while the stronger concentrations are applied on tougher areas like hands and feet.
- In case sun exposure does not provide you with enough vitamin D, your doctor will prescribe vitamin D like calcipotriene to slow the growth of skin cells. It is available in ointment, cream and solution form and also helps reduce lesions and the removal of scales.
This treatment option is used with other psoriasis treatment options or light therapy. Though effective, at times calcipotriene can lead to skin irritation; so consult your doctor if you find your skin condition worsening after using the medication.
- In case your psoriasis does not respond to any of this treatment, you can use oral or injected prescription medications like vitamin A retinoids, hydroxyurea and mmunomodulator drugs and methotrexate. All these reduce the production of skin cells and suppress the immune system to reduce skin inflammation.
However as these medications can lead to severe side effects in some people, it’s better to consult your doctor before undergoing the treatment.
[note]Moreover, these drugs work in different ways at suppressing your immune system wherein there is a chance of your becoming susceptible to other illnesses if you use this treatment for long periods of time. [/note]
While there are so many psoriasis treatment options available, there is nothing like the best treatment for psoriasis. Different people react differently to different treatment options. Just make sure you wash your hands after applying medications and you don’t use soap as it makes it worse.