Psoriasis is a common skin condition that affects both men and women usually between the ages of 15 to 30 which is best treated using natural remedies for psoriasis.
This is because psoriasis cannot be completely cured. It is a skin condition that comprises of a chronic alternating course of acute flare-ups and remission which should preferably be controlled using natural treatment options.
Psoriasis lesions vary in size from an inch to diameter to plaques that can cover the entire body. The places most commonly affected by psoriasis are the elbows, nails, scalp, knees and sacral regions.
As psoriasis is a chronic condition it’s better to use these natural psoriasis treatment options instead of professional help.
- Try boiling almond powder in water and then applying it on the affected regions. Leave it overnight for best results.
- Maintain clean and dry skin and wash affected regions using only lukewarm water. However do not over wash your skin as it only makes your skin prone to sores and scales.
- One of the natural psoriasis treatments is sandalwood powder that helps as it keeps the skin smooth and cool. Mix sandalwood with rose water or a diluted solution of lime juice and water for best effects.
- Follow a nutrient rich diet that is enriched with vitamins A, C and E as it makes your skin healthy. Moreover, as it has been proven through research that food containing arachidonic acid like red meat and dairy products can inflict inflammation, it’s better to create a diet plant without these food items.
- As the skin gets dry and patchy during psoriasis, keep your skin moisturized all the time. Honey is a great moisturizing agent as it helps reduce the dryness of the psoriasis affected skin and the other parts of your body too.
Besides applying moisturizers, it proves to be a good idea to use a humidifier to keep the air in your office or home moist all the time.This helps prevent any dry skin from forming.
- Gourd juice is a natural psoriasis treatment that has been used for ages, and is now recommended by doctors and dieticians too. Just take one to two cups of the juice on an empty stomach every day for 5-6 months for good results.
- Itching is a major problem during psoriasis attacks. To reduce this itching, you have to soak your skin in a mixture of water and tar solution and apply it to your skin twice a day for a month. This is one of the easy natural remedies for psoriasis that gives great results.
- Calendula has been used for treating all types of skin problems for years, including psoriasis. Just mix it with a few drops of olive oil and apply to effectively fight psoriasis.You could also consider applying a mixture of avocado oil and aloe Vera gel. Even just applying pure aloe Vera gel, and not an aloe Vera cream with other ingredients, to the lesions help.
- Herbal liver tonics with tissue and blood cleansers are important but natural treatments for psoriasis. Even nerve tonics or nervines help as they soothe the nerves, and thus help reduce the itching of psoriasis.
- For temporary relief from psoriasis itching and scaling, apply apple-cider vinegar diluted in water. You could also dilute apple cider vinegar or white vinegar with three to four times lukewarm water and pour over the head. Rub and leave it on for a minute and then rinse out. Also try adding half a cup of cider vinegar to a tub of water to restore skin acidity.
- Burdock root is a great natural treatment for psoriasis which helps improve psoriasis flare-ups. Just take 20-40 drops of its tincture thrice a day for good results.
- Chamomile is widely used for treating psoriasis for its anti-inflammatory and flavonoid compounds. However people with ragweed allergies should avoid using chamomile as chamomile is a member of the ragweed family.
- Castor oil helps treat small, thick and well-circumscribed lesions if left overnight. Just cold press castor oil that is mixed with baking soda to the thick, scaly heel skin for immediate improvement. Just make sure the skin is not cracked on application.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of cayenne pepper helps in the healing and treating of psoriasis. Its cream is available over the counter as Zostrix or Capzasin-P and should be used for six weeks.Just take care not to apply on broken skin.
- Dandelion tincture helps stimulate bile flow and thus clears toxins out of the system. It is usually combined with yellow dock with its recommended dosage of 30-60 drops twice a day.
- Dietary supplements like fish oil, milk thistle, vitamin D and evening primrose oil help ease psoriasis symptoms from the inside. However it is important you consult your doctor before starting these supplements to ensure the supplements don’t interfere with any pre-existing conditions or give harmful side effects. Besides taking fish oil, even its direct application to the skin proves beneficial to many people suffering from psoriasis.
- It is true that soaps and perfumes have dyes and fragrances in them that make you smell great. However they also inflame psoriasis; so if you have to use them, it’s better to look for products labeled as a sensitive skin’ as they do not have the dyes and perfumes that irritates skin.
- Massage a few tablespoons of olive or vegetable oil on your scalp as it helps loosen troublesome plaques while you shower.
- It is not advisable to use hot water when you have psoriasis. However a lukewarm bath that has Epsom salt, milk, mineral oil or olive oil helps sooth the itching and also helps infiltrate scales and plaques.Moisturizing immediately after coming out of the bath helps give double benefits.
- Cabbage leaves are great compresses to use for treating psoriasis. Wash them in warm water and dry with a towel. Then remove the thick veins and with a rolling pin, flatten, soften and smoothen the leaves out.
- Warm the leaves and then apply smoothly to the affected parts in an overlapping manner. After placing a pad or soft woolen cloth over the cabbage leaf, secure it in place using an elastic bandage.
- Drinking curd as buttermilk in liberal quantities proves beneficial in treating psoriasis.Even applying buttermilk compresses on the affected regions work as great natural remedies for psoriasis.
- Avocado oil is also a great treatment option for psoriasis. Just apply it gently on the affected parts for an effective psoriasis home remedy.
Remember that there is no one single natural treatment for psoriasis as not everything works for everyone. Just try out these natural remedies for psoriasis and then customize your daily routine to control psoriasis itching and flaking.