Flexural psoriasis photos
Flexural psoriasis photos may seem scary but it is a non-infectious auto-immune condition that is caused by T-cell activation within the skin. [note]This form of psoriasis is usually found in the groin, armpits, under the breasts and other flexion creases like those found around the buttocks and genitals.[/note]
Some of the symptoms associated with flexural psoriasis include;
- Itchiness and pain around the affected area
- Sensitivity to sweating and friction
- Shedding of silvery scales
- Nail disorders
The medical complications found in people with flexural psoriasis include;
- Irritation and chaffing from heat and sweat
- Sexual difficulties due to discomfort or embarrassment
- Secondary fungal infections may occur particularly thrush
- Thinned skin as a result of prolonged overuse of strong tropical creams
- Lichenification from scratching and rubbing (this is a big problem particularly around the anus where the faecal material irritates the skin and causes itchiness)
Topical steroids are often used in combination with antifungal agents to help combat thrush. It may clear the psoriasis but reoccurrences do appear after discontinuing treatment. However, overuse of these topical steroids results in thinned skin which only aggravates the psoriasis. Calcipotriol cream is also an effective treatment against psoriasis found in the flexures. [note]It should only be used twice daily and if it causes skin irritation only once. [/note]Topical calcineurin inhibitors like pimecrolimus cream and tacrolimus ointment are also effective and don’t cause skin thinning.
A combination of these treatments can be used together with emollients and topical antifungal agents and antiseptics are often used since flexural psoriasis can be complicated by yeast and bacteria. It is recommended to consult with a medical practitioner before administering any of these treatments since the symptoms you have may be caused by other diseases. Self medication may only be aggravating the situation even further which can cause even more serious complications in the long run.